Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Slow Cooker Pot Roast - For Any Occassion
Slow cooker recipes are always in season - right? Who doesn't love a meal they can prep in the morning and dinner is ready and waiting when you get home!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Slow Cooked: chuck roast is such a great option for pot roast because it is naturally a little bit tougher than other cuts of beef. By slow roasting it all day in a slow cooker we are breaking down those naturally tough pieces so they are tender and juicy when they are done cooking!
- Gravy: Love, love, love any recipe with gravy in it (who doesn't) and let's be honest, gravy always makes a recipe "kid-friendly."
- Leftovers: If you are making this for a family of 4 you will easily have leftovers for lunches throughout the week! (leftovers are totally my go-to for lunch)
Pot Roast Seasoning
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1 ½ teaspoons parsley flakes
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
2-3lb Country Natural Beef chuck roast
2 tablespoons olive oil (or avocado oil)
1 small yellow onion, halved and quartered
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
3 stalks of celery, cut into in inch chunks
2 russet potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 cup beef broth
½ cup pomegranate juice
1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
Gluten-Free Option: 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
Paleo/Whole30 Option: 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder + 2 tablespoons water
- Combine Pot Roast Seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.
- Tie your fresh rosemary and fresh thyme together with some cooking twine; set aside.
- Prepare your veggies and potatoes, place in your crockpot along with the garlic and bay leaves.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the beef broth, pomegranate juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, red wine vinegar, and tomato paste. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Rinse off chuck roast and place on a large plate or platter. Pat dry with clean paper towel.
- Take the Pot Roast Seasoning and rub all over the chuck roast, getting into every nook and cranny.
- Bring a 12 inch cast iron skillet to medium/high heat and add olive oil.
- Sear the chuck roast on all sides (2-3 minutes per side).
- Place the seared chuck roast on top of your veggies in the slow cooker.
- Pour the beef broth mixture over the top and add in the herb bundle.
- Cover the pot and let cook on LOW 6-8 hours or on HIGH 4 hours.
- Remove chuck roast and place on a large platter or plate. Using a slotted spoon remove the veggies and potatoes, placing them on the same plate. Cover with foil and set aside.
- Gluten-Free Gravy: Using a glass measuring cup, scoop out ½ cup of the remaining broth and add your cornstarch. Whisk until combined and thick; pour into the slow cooker and whisk to combine. Ensure the slow cooker is on HIGH and cover. Let sit 5-7 minutes. To thicken more add additional cornstarch 1/2 tablespoon at a time.
OR Paleo/Whole30 Gravy: Combine 2 tablespoon water with 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder; whisk to combine. Pour into the slow cooker with the remaining broth and whisk to combine. Ensure the slow cooker is on HIGH and cover. Let sit 5-7 minutes. To thicken more add additional arrowroot powder 1/2 tablespoon at a time.