Slow Cooker Pot Roast - For Any Occassion
Slow cooker recipes are always in season - right? Who doesn't love a meal they can prep in the morning and dinner is ready and waiting when you get home!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
chuck roast is such a great option for pot roast because it is naturally a little bit tougher than other cuts of beef. By slow roasting it all day in a slow cooker we are breaking down those naturally tough pieces so they are tender and juicy when they are done cooking!Gravy:
Love, love, love any recipe with gravy in it (who doesn't) and let's be honest, gravy always makes a recipe "kid-friendly."Leftovers:
If you are making this for a family of 4 you will easily have leftovers for lunches throughout the week! (leftovers are totally my go-to for lunch)
Pot Roast Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2-3lb Country Natural Beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and quartered
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into in inch chunks
- 2 russet potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
Gluten-Free Option: 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
Paleo/Whole30 Option: 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder + 2 tablespoons water
1. Combine Pot Roast Seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Tie your fresh rosemary and fresh thyme together with some cooking twine; set aside.
3. Prepare your veggies and potatoes, place in your crockpot along with the garlic and bay leaves.
4. In a small mixing bowl combine the beef broth, pomegranate juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, red wine vinegar, and tomato paste.
Whisk to combine and set aside.
5. Rinse off chuck roast and place on a large plate or platter. Pat dry with clean paper towel.
6. Take the Pot Roast Seasoning and rub all over the chuck roast, getting into every nook and cranny.
7. Bring a 12 inch cast iron skillet to medium/high heat and add olive oil.
8. Sear the chuck roast on all sides (2-3 minutes per side).
9. Place the seared chuck roast on top of your veggies in the slow cooker.
10. Pour the beef broth mixture over the top and add in the herb bundle.
11. Cover the pot and let cook on LOW 6-8 hours or on HIGH 4 hours.
12. Remove chuck roast and place on a large platter or plate.
Using a slotted spoon remove the veggies and potatoes, placing them on the same plate.
Cover with foil and set aside.
13. Gluten-Free Gravy: Using a glass measuring cup, scoop out ½ cup of the remaining broth and add your cornstarch.
Whisk until combined and thick; pour into the slow cooker and whisk to combine.
Ensure the slow cooker is on HIGH and cover. Let sit 5-7 minutes.
To thicken more add additional cornstarch 1/2 tablespoon at a time.
OR Paleo/Whole30 Gravy: Combine 2 tablespoon water with 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder; whisk to combine.
Pour into the slow cooker with the remaining broth and whisk to combine. Ensure the slow cooker is on HIGH and cover.
Let sit 5-7 minutes.
To thicken more add additional arrowroot powder 1/2 tablespoon at a time.