You're going to love this Guinness Beef Stew, perfect for St. Patrick's Day or anytime you're in need of some comfort food! This stew is cozy and delicious, with a depth of flavor created by the quality of our Steak Bites and the Guinness.
4oz pancetta, cubed
Kosher salt and ground pepper
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 small yellow onion, diced
2-3 large carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces and then halved
2-3 stalks of celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 cups chicken or beef broth
1 can (14.9fl oz) Guinness beer
2 bay leaves
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons worsteshire sauce
2-3 handfuls baby yukon gold potatoes
10oz pearl onions, peeled
1. Place Steak Bites on a large plate. Pat dry with a clean paper towel.
a. Season generously with kosher salt and ground black pepper, set aside
2. Bring a 5.5qt Dutch Oven to medium-high heat. Add pancetta and move around the pan 1 minute.
a. Reduce heat to medium and let fat render, about 3-5 minutes (moving the pancetta around every so often).
b. Use a slotted spoon to remove the pancetta and place on a plate.
3. Turn heat back up to medium-high. In batches, sear both sides of the steak bites in the rendered fat.
a. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
4. Add garlic and diced onion.
a. Move around the pan until the garlic is fragrant and the onion softens, about 1 minute.
5. Add carrots and celery. Move around pan 1 minute.
6. Add 1/4 cup of the broth to deglaze the pan.
a. Use a spatula to scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
7. Add the remaining broth, beer, bay leaves, fresh thyme, tomato paste, worsteshire, potatoes, pancetta and steak bites (along with any juices that have settled on the plate).
8. Cover and let gently simmer 2-3 hours.
9. About 20 minutes before you are going to serve, add the onions and cover to let simmer.
10. Taste and add additional salt, as-needed (how much you need will depend upon what brand of broth you used, etc.).
Serve over mashed potatoes and enjoy!
- Steak Bites: alternatively you can use Country Natural Beef's Sirloin Steak and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Beer: Guinness has a non-alcoholic version of their beer if you prefer!