Pappardelle Bolognese Sauce is an absolutely delicious Bolognese sauce recipe, slow-simmered and served over pappardelle noodles.
It's one of those total comfort food recipes that everyone needs. The smell fills your house and the leftovers are even better than the day-of version.
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1-2 large carrots, diced
- 1-2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 oz pancetta, chopped
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb Country Natural Beef's Butcher's Blend
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice (or dry red wine)
- 1 (28oz) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (32oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, smashed
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- ¼ cup coconut milk (or heavy cream if not needing dairy-free)
- Bring a large Dutch Oven to medium-high heat.
- Add ghee and let melt.
- Add garlic and sauté until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add pancetta and let fat render, about 3 minutes.
- Add onion, celery and carrots.
- Stir and let onions cook down until almost transparent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add beef and pork and ensure the pot is over med/med-high heat.
- Continue stirring until the meat is fully cooked.
- Add pomegranate juice (or red wine), whole tomatoes, tomato sauce and the tomato paste to the pan.
- Use a paring knife to cut the whole tomatoes into quarters.
- Stir to combine.
- Add basil, thyme and oregano as well as the coconut milk (or cream) - stir to combine.
- Let simmer for 1-3 hours, covered.
- If you feel it isn't thick enough simply let simmer uncovered for about a half hour or so and it will thicken up.
If serving immediately, place your favorite noodles or zoodles (we recommend pappardelle noodles) in a pasta bowl and pour desired amount of sauce on top. Serve with parmesan cheese if you want and garnish with a bit of basil!
To freeze, let sauce cool. Place it in a clean mason jar (leaving about an inch of room at the top to allow for expansion during freezing), place lid on top. Label it with the date and how much is in the container. Place in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Pappardelle Bolognese Sauce is total fall comfort food! There are many reasons why you'll love this recipe, but to just name a few - Depth of Flavor, Make Ahead and Kid Friendly - doesn't get much better than that!
Recipe made in partnership with The Wooden Skillet