This is an absolutely delicious, flavorful chili that is perfect for cold winter nights or weekend days! The combination of flavorful braised short ribs cooked in a yummy braising liquid, then shredded & combined with some traditionally chili ingredients and flavors is what takes this chili recipe to the next level.
Chili Ingredients:3lb Country Natural Beef Short Ribs (English cut - single bone)
2-3 tbsp. olive oil (or ghee)
2 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. ground black pepper
2 tbsp. fennel seed
2 cups beef broth
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped carrots
¾ cup finely chopped leeks
9 oz tomato paste
9 oz tomato paste
1 (15oz) can dived tomatoes, don't drain
1¼ cups red wine (or pomegranate juice)
3 tsp garlic, minced
1½ tsp dried oregano leaves
1½ tsp dried thyme leaves
1 tsp smoked paprika (regular paprika is fine)
1 tbsp. dried basil leaves
½ tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1 bay leaf
1 (15oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
8oz baby bella mushrooms, roughly chopped (optional)
1 (28oz) can whole tomatoes, with juices
3 tbsp. chili powder (more to taste)
½ tbsp. coconut sugar
Horseradish Sour Cream:
4 tbsp. sour cream (dairy-free or regular)
3 tbsp. horseradish sauce
- Combine salt, pepper and fennel in a small bowl.
- Rub salt/pepper/fennel mixture all over short ribs (optional - wrap in plastic warp and let sit for an hour or more).
- Add olive oil (or ghee) to Dutch Oven on med-high heat.
- Sear short ribs on all sides (you will need to do this in batches).
- Remove short ribs and place on plate.
- Using the same Dutch Oven, add beef broth to deglaze the pan, scraping up any bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add celery, carrots, leeks, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, beef broth, red wine (or pomegranate juice), garlic, oregano, thyme, smoked paprika, basil, bay leaf, and rosemary.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Let Dutch Oven simmer for 10-15 minutes to let reduce.
- Add short ribs back into Dutch Oven with braising liquid.
- Place in oven (uncovered) and let cook for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from oven and take short ribs out of braising liquid, set aside on plate and let cool slightly.
- Add kidney beans, mushrooms, whole tomatoes, chili powder, and sugar.
- Mix well and use a knife to quarter the whole tomatoes.
- Take short ribs and remove meat from bone.
- Cut up into bite sized pieces and put back into the Dutch Oven.
- Stir together.
- Place Dutch Oven on stove and let simmer for at least a half hour (but it could really simmer for quite a while if you are making ahead of time or placed in a crock pot on low until you are ready to serve).
- When you are ready to serve, mix sour cream and horseradish to serve with chili.
Gather round with friends and family and warm up on a winter day with this flavor packed dish!
Recipe made in partnership with The Wooden Skillet